Thursday, September 20, 2007

Legacy Software

The main problem with moving forward with legacy software is that it takes so much damn time to get classes under test. So when ends up happening is, you load the entire system just to test one tiny little bit of it, and you end up with all sorts of different testing issues, further contributing to your original legacy code problem.

Why is it so hard to get a class under test?
  • Idiots.
Thats all. Thats the only reason. I feel like this should be the end of the post, but I suppose I'll trudge on, I haven't posted in a while.

Classes have complex dependencies that interact with each other constantly, handing each other other sets of complex Objects, making anything difficult to stub or mock out. I'm reading Working Effectively With Legacy Code and its helping, but these things take time. I think I'll get there, but maybe not for another year or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment