Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Changes

Back in February I wrote that it was time for me to go back to grad school. More or less, that time has come - I've decided to leave my job. I don't believe that this is a reflection of the quality of work at the job (or previous jobs), its just time for me to study languages. I would find my thoughts drifting constantly to languages while at work. I don't think it's fair to the teams I work with (as long as we're not working on languages), and I don't think it's good for me to be in a position that can't possibly allow me to work on everything I want. It's simply time.

I want to say thanks to Ken, Daniel, Evan, Mark and Marek at Simon and Schuster. It's a very good development team, and they were very good to me. I wish them absolutely the best of luck on all things in the future. While they all deserve credit, I think Daniel deserves extra credit for being an amazing, intelligent, patient boss. He probably gave me more slack than I earned, and I will never forget that. I would highly recommend the job for someone smart, but junior. It would be a position where you could learn from agile experts, as well as some fun technologies to work with, and a great team.

As for whats next, I don't have a definite plan yet. I do have tentative plans A and B, and will announce them once things get settled. Unquestionably though, it will be working in languages and/or studying towards Phd. Hopefully it can involve my passion for teaching, especially teaching children. I'm going to take a little bit of time off to spend extra time with my son before I get back into things. He deserves it.

That's all. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment